Quantum Aristo Sound Decoder for Aristocraft® Locomotives
Discontinued - see new Titan Large Scale
U.S. Reissue Patent Number RE38,660.
This Quantum product is designed to plug into the Aristocraft motherboard common on most of their G gauge locomotives. Installation in diesels only takes about ten-minutes; a Quantum Aristo is the easiest way to convert an Aristocraft locomotive to full sound and speed control.
"I really like the board, the sound itself is great and I like the ability to program it as easily as modifying all the tabs to the files. Then saving them so I can use them to exactly program another unit to be used as a "B" unit. That is head and shoulders above anyone else's capabilities. Keep up the good work." - Paul T.
- Dual Mode Decoder: Quantum Aristo is a dual decoder for operation under DC and DCC track power. Operation toggles automatically to DCC if DCC signals are detected.
- Advanced Analog™: All of the sound features available in DCC are available using the Quantum Engineer add-on controller to you DC power pack (see notes).
- GWire™ Operation*: Quantum Aristo includes an additional plug for GWire operation under track or battery power.
- Motor Control: RTC (Regulated Throttle Control) is included for supreme low speed performance, smooth acceleration and braking, and power sharing between locomotives in consists. Your new locomotive is pre-programmed at the factory to use Regulated Throttle Control (RTC) in analog operation. RTC makes your locomotive operate as though it has the mass and inertia of a prototype locomotive. As a result, your locomotive will resist starting up too quickly if at rest and will resist changes in speed once moving. It takes a little practice to learn to move the throttle and wait until the locomotive responds. If you prefer that your locomotive responds almost immediately to the throttle, reprogram it to use Standard Throttle Control (STC), which has no Inertial Control (see Example 1 under Analog Programming, page 7).
- Directional Lighting: Forward (dimmable) headlight and reverse light operations are automatically enabled when Quantum Aristo is plugged in the Aristocraft motherboard.
- Downloadable Sounds: All Quantum 2 products can be upgraded with new sounds and software from the QSI Solutions website using the Quantum Programming™ product. This keeps your sound system current with new features, improvements and sounds.
- Simple Installation: Quantum Aristo installation is straightforward and does not require any soldering or difficult wiring. Aristocraft often pre-installs an 8-ohm speaker in many of their locomotives, which plugs directly into the Quantum circuit board.
|Physical Size||1.27” X 2.2” X 1”|
|Operating Track Voltage Range||4.5 v < VTrack < 35 v|
|Maximum Peak Voltage||35 Volts|
|Steady State Current||2.7+ Amps|
|Motor Stall Current (3 sec)||3+ Amps|
|Speaker Load||8 ohm|
|Audio Power Output||5 watts|
|Maximum Operating Temperature||100 °C|
|Forward and Reverse light drivers||500 mA|
"This decoder is great .... I have a bunch of engines using the AirWire system but couldn't use them on powered track ... you guys solved that problem!" -Dusty
- An alternate design of the Quantum Aristo that includes additional lighting options. Besides the default operation of Headlight and Reverse Lights, a separate plug is available for 10 additional lamp drivers including 5 settable voltage outputs using software controlled PWM and five binary toggled (on/off) drivers. The total of all drivers must not exceed 500 mA. This allows configurable and variable intensity operation of dimmable Headlight and Reverse lights, Overhead Blinking lights, Mars Lights, Ditch Lights, and on/off operation of other lights such as Marker Lights, Cab Lights, Number Board Lights, Step Lights, Truck Lights, and Engine Room Lights.
- GWire™ requires special connector cable to on-board receiver.
- The only major feature not available under Advanced Analog control is independent operation of different locomotives at different speeds on the same powered track section at the same time. This feature is exclusive to Command Control.
- Michael M. sent us the following note : This page has programs that animate many different value gear types allowing the user to adjust cutoff and well as many other things. Might go along with the QSU cutoff tip that had a link to an animation that did not show cutoff.
*Specifications may change without notice. 4/15/07.
I really like the Quantums. Below is a link to a trio of Aristocraft Dash 9s with Quantum Aristos installed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvah0oJTaJA
I love how one can dial in the speed settings so precisely.
Pictures - Aristocraft Diesel GE Dash 9 "G" gauge
Exhaust stack inspection cover removed showing loco control panel
Control panel lifted showing:
(1) Large Aristocraft motherboard,
(2) Quantum Aristo Sound decoder plugged-in, middle board with 2 large capacitors and
(3) QSI GWire™ board plugged-in to (2) small board with ribbon cable.